The United States Ship of the Line Delaware
Oil on Canvas
Attributed to James Guy Evans (American c1810-1860)
29” x 40” overall
The Delaware was built by the Norfolk Navy Yard and launched on October 21, 1820. She was the flagship of the Mediterranean Squadron form 1828-1830 and on several subsequent cruises. In 1841-1843 she served on Brazil Station as flagship and was laid up from 1844-1861 when she was burned in the Norfolk Navy Yard. This painting depicts the Delaware “in the Gulf of Lyons, October 14th, 1835.”
Signed indistinctly in the lower right, the painting can be attributed to James Guy Evans based on a signed print published of the Delaware after this image and several other paintings he produced of the Delaware and similar war ships. Evans was a self-taught artist who seems to have made New Orleans his primary residence throughout his career.