Walnut, yellow pine, original yellow pine slip seat
H: 39.5″; W: 24″; D: 17″
A substantially constructed chair with a serpentine crest with a central pierced circle, a pattern common in the Tidewater area. The side rails are through tenoned and pegged, and there is pegged construction at the joins of the stretchers to the legs. A very similar example is owned by Colonial Williamsburg, accession # 1953-567,1 with a history of ownership by Mordecai Gist (1743-1792) of Baltimore and # 1940-342,1 from Virginia.